WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Monday, October 25, 2010

Tonight my turntable belongs to Mr. Gregory Isaacs

Damn good thing my daily position in life is not that of a blogger. Umm, what has it been? Almost a month? My family would of starved! This morning while I was trying to look interested and upright sitting on those hard wooden benches at the traffic tribunal, my mind was drifting on soft lovers rock riddims. It was two stiff hours before my wife’s name was called. She pleaded guilty to speeding and asked for leniency with her good driving record. I was busy running my blog over in my head. Today would be the day I finish up those “book reports” and 12-inch rulers posts I started. Sadly, not to be…



…A tiny blurb in the BBC News caught my eye; “ Reggae star Isaacs dies aged 59.” What?! Mister Gregory Isaacs passed away after battling lung cancer.



He was correctly nick named Cool Ruler. The Lovers Rock phenomenon is basically his creation. And if you argue against that theory at least I know you will agree that he perfected it.



Don't have any Cool Ruler in your CD selection to spin? This Trojan collection is great place to begin. I believe it is still being issued. I know the Cool Ruler Virgin Lp is long outta print. Extra Classic rolls up to the starting line with the smoking Dread anthem "Mr. Cop." That tune is a Lee Perry production filled with the Black Ark sound. One classic after another till ya reach halfway thru, and "I'm alright (loving pauper)", greets your ears. That tune should send shivers. Trojan fills the last half with the B-side dub versions. All killer cuts. A 5 outta 5.



The heavy roots era is when Isaac’s star shone super nova bright. Not that the 80’s decade gave him a cold shoulder, because he dropped his biggest seller, “Night Nurse” in 1982. This record's relaxed vibe will take you to the warm waters of sunny beaches even if your stuck in the middle of nowhere. So metaphorically get sand between your toes and sip a cup. Soak it in.

Every couple of years the Cool Ruler makes a small comeback. Maybe he drops a new record. For the most part, they're all good. Maybe he even does a greatest hits tour. It was about that time and I figured he would be gracing a festival somewhere close this coming summer.



Speaking of those best of hits discs, it seems like every Reggae record company under Jah's blue sky has pressed a version of their own Gregory's Greatest. Same goes for Dennis Brown. Be wary, there appears to be infinite number of duplication. So buy wise.



Tonight my turntable belongs to Mr. Gregory Isaacs.

No comments:

Post a Comment