WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Friday, December 17, 2010

THE COOLER RULER!

I approach his newer material with serious trepidation. Why? Only because the critics say his day was back in the 1970’s. Actually those critics are the same fools that claim Reggae’s glory has long since faded into ancient history. Yep, how do you explain the thirty plus years of massive musical masterpieces that were created since then? I never gave ‘em any credence before, so why start now. I did so wrongfully with this 2003 Jetstar release. You can’t blame me for not trusting my ears to Jetstar. Although, I should of known better with them too, because their forte is this sweet stuff. Jetstar are the pastry chefs of Reggae music. Baking aural confections like Ambilique, Al Campbell and Peter Hunningale.


Back to Mr. Gregory Isaacs …I figured while he was lounging around enjoying retirement age, that he might be a little hard up for some cash flow and agreed to spend a few minutes working some routine tracks. Tunes of throw away type. There never seems to be a shortage of ‘em. Sure wouldn’t be the first time a record company insulted an artist of The Cool Ruler’s stature with an album worth of junk.

No way. JETSTAR put the old man back to work full time with this disc!

Ruff Cutt’s Tony Phillips recorded this sixteen-tune daydream at Cave Studios in London. When I read Cave Studios in the liner notes I pictured the place cold and dank but this CD shines warmth. Gregory must have brought the tropics with him. Stashed away in his luggage where customs couldn’t sniff it out. Studio wiz Jazzwad shares in the creativity. Morgan Heritage splits writers credit on the title tune, “Here by Appointment.” Does Denroy’s many idren have a version of this tune or did they only supply the Riddim?


“Here By Appointment” has that vintage feel finely layered over modern Lovers Rock Riddims. Clean, clear and concise grooves that lightly bounce. Yes, he is disengaged from the beat but he embraces the mood. In fact he wraps his arms around the melody. That is the Mr. Gregory Isaacs personal signature. He enjoyed these tunes. It shows.
Now this CD has been spinning in my car for a few weeks straight. Mainly, I have to say because I am too lazy or too forgetful to change it: but like a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner, once song one begins this CD sucks me right in. I even find myself driving the long way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment