WRITE ME

WRITE ME nicosreggaeblog@gmail.com


Thursday, January 27, 2011

EYE POPPING BASS SLAPS

Curves that feel good inna your hands.


No gutter minds...not CE'CILE!

(picture does no justice to the real thing!)

An IBANEZ SR700!

I was searching Craigslist when I felt my wife looking over my shoulder. “No phucking way are you buying a drum set!” “But babe…they have killer kits selling for dirt” I sassed back in self-defense. She then stated simply in her dead serious tone trying to penetrate my thick skull, “It is not the money…its because there is no quiet way to play the drums.” Sure there is…when she’s not home. Umm, I am hoping to add a CASIO 3800 as well. Why? Home studio.

Back in late the 1970’s I bought a black Rickenbacker bass. It cost me about half of what I earned that year. RICK JAMES was photographed playing one, so I wanted one. Umm, I did more fumbling than getting funky. Learning an instrument requires full discipline and I had discovered girls at the same time so…a few years passed and I up-graded to a handmade blonde maple Schecter Research with polished brass hardware. She was a real head turner. I pawned it 15 years ago. This beauty practically played itself but I still wasn’t playing like JACO PASTORIUS.

(Considered the greatest electric bass player ever. Died homeless in Miami.)

Work and pleasure gave my knuckles a beating. I had a cast iron boiler slide off its’ cement block footing and pin my right hand between a wall. Until my co-works helped push the thing off, I could hear my knucklebones cracking under the weight. Over 900 hundred pounds. (We scrapped it.) That and my youthful habit of swinging first and asking question later left my dexterity shot. (Barroom fisticuffs.) So my musician days had past.

Society made me do it..my studio 1985

When my youngest daughter was really little I bought her one of those made in China cheapo guitars that she could trash like a kid. With interest lost I ended up playing around with it more than her. I would be sitting at my computer waiting for the page to eternally load and to save my impatient mind from exploding; I started finger picking my old melodies. I removed two strings to make it more Bass like. About a year of this nonsense I realized I could wiggle my fingers again. Time to do it proper. An Ibanez SR700 caught my eye. She is an Indonesian exotic made from jungle woods. I know not very green but I do intend to be buried with her when I leave behind my mortal coil. My big picture is coming together.


In the little space in between every thing that’s happening right now, I’m trying to lay down my own RIDDIMS. I made scores of demos a half a life ago. That was easy with old school tech. This home computer recording studio software has me getting grayer. I’m learning at the pace of paint drying. Speaking of paint …


I don’t make New Years resolutions because I never think more than a few days ahead. Not gonna happen but this year is different. I have a lot of new stuff planned for the new year-though none of it blog related. Well not directly anyway. A few weeks ago my youngest daughter, she is 17 years old, wanted too check out the capitol city’s ART MUSEUM. While strolling through the halls where all the Jesus paintings hang and the subject of RELIGON is pushed as hard as drugs, I started singing JAH LLOYD’S “MOSES was a DREADLOCK.”
That got me thinking…maybe I’ll correct the old world masters mistakes. This would be an extremely time consuming endeavor however. Some of those paintings took years to paint! That will be a serious challenge to my lack of patience. And ummm...pretty damn arrogant of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment